Toyota Motor Europe (TME) today posted 2020 sales of 993,113 (1) Toyota and Lexus vehicles, a decrease of -9.0% year-on-year, outperforming the overall market which contracted by -20% during the ongoing pandemic. During this period, TME’s overall market share increased by 0.7 ppts to 6.0%, an all-time record for the company in Europe. A key element influencing the overall performance can be attributed to the continued strong demand for its low CO2 hybrid line-up, which propelled the Toyota brand to the 3rd placed best-selling passenger car brand in Europe. TME’s hybrid sales decreased by only -6% year-on-year, and with 529,054 hybrid vehicles sold, its hybrid mix now stands at 53% overall, and 65% in West Europe.
Following the spring lockdown across Europe, TME sales bounced back between July and December 2020 increasing 11% year-on-year for that period, driven by demand for its key C-segment models and SUVs, and the launch of new Yaris, which achieved second spot for best-selling car in Europe in November 2020. Overall, TME launched nine new Toyota and Lexus models in 2020 including RAV4 Plug-in Hybrid, PROACE EV, the new Mirai FCEV and Lexus UX EV.
We are very satisfied with this strong performance under the most challenging circumstances. Like everyone, we adapted rapidly to a changed environment, and we thank our customers for their continued trust and loyalty during this period of continued uncertainty. We expanded both our vehicle and powertrain line-up last year launching nine new models including hybrids, plug-in hybrids, battery electric and fuel cell vehicles which provided additional sales momentum. As a result, TME achieved its EU CO2 fleet targets in 2020, and are confident that we will continue to meet them in future.
Matt Harrison, Executive Vice President of Toyota Motor Europe
Brands and model performance
Toyota had the highest percentage growth in market share in 2020 in passenger cars and lowest volume decline. Overall, it sold 922,299 vehicles in 2020, increasing market share 0.6 ppts to 5.7%, with volume down by only -8% year-on-year with an overall hybrid mix of 53% in Europe. The brand’s best sellers, Corolla, Yaris and RAV4 together accounted for 58% of volume, with an even higher hybrid mix of 65%.
Lexus sold 70,814 vehicles, achieving a record premium market share of 2.3% and reaching 3% share in the private sector for the first time, while sales declined -19% year-on-year. In addition to the launch of the new UX 300e battery electric model, Lexus also introduced the new LC 500 Convertible in 2020 and minor change LS. Lexus’ core volume sales come from its SUV range – RX, NX, UX, GX and LX with combined sales of 57,833 vehicles made up 81% of total volume.
TME highlights Jan- Dec 2020:
- Total sales: 993,113 (-9% year-on-year)
- Market share: 6.0% (+0.7 ppt year-on-year)
- Total hybrid sales: 529,054 (-6% year-on-year)
- Hybrid mix: West Europe: 65% – East Europe*: 22% – TTL: 53%
Toyota highlights Jan- Dec 2020:
- Toyota sales: 922,299 (-8% year-on-year)
- Top sellers: Corolla Range (193,785); Yaris (193,050); RAV4 (147,137)
- Top hybrids: Corolla Hybrid Range (148,820); Toyota C-HR Hybrid (108,939); Yaris Hybrid (107,623)
- Total hybrid sales: 484,828 (-4% year-on-year)
- Hybrid mix: West Europe: 63% – East Europe*: 24% – TTL: 53%
Lexus highlights Jan- Dec 2020:
- Total Lexus sales: 70,814 (-19% year-on-year)
- Top sellers: NX Range (18,650); RX Range (17,819); UX Range (16,850)
- Top hybrids: UX Hybrid (15,751); NX Hybrid (12,754); RX Hybrid (5,476)
- Total hybrid sales: 44,687 (-23% year-on-year)
- Hybrid mix: West Europe: 98% – East Europe*: 6% – TTL: 63%
Sales for Jan – Dec 2020 are listed below:
TOTAL TOYOTA / LEXUS
|Yaris (incl. Yaris Hybrid)||
|Corolla H/B & Touring Sports (including Hybrid)||
|Corolla H/B & Touring Sports Hybrid||
|Toyota C-HR (incl. Hybrid)||
|Toyota C-HR Hybrid||
|Corolla SDN (incl. Hybrid)||
|Corolla SDN Hybrid||
|Prius Plug-in Hybrid||
|Camry (incl. Camry Hybrid)||
|RAV4 (incl. RAV4 Hybrid)||
|IS (incl. IS Hybrid)||
|ES (incl. ES Hybrid)||
|LS (incl. LS Hybrid)||
|NX (incl. NX Hybrid)||
|UX (incl. UX Hybrid)||
|RX (incl. RX Hybrid)||
|RC (incl. RC Hybrid)||
|LC (incl. LC Hybrid)||
(1) Toyota Motor Europe is responsible for all Western, Central and Eastern European countries including Turkey and Russia as well as Israel and a number of Central Asian markets (Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, and Kazakhstan).
*East Europe includes Russia, Kazakhstan, Caucasus, Ukraine, Turkey and Israel.
Models listed in italics are produced locally at Toyota’s European manufacturing facilities.
(2) EU C02 fleet refers to average emissions of cars registered in EU28, Iceland and Norway. Reference to target achievement here is for Toyota + Lexus sales, based on preliminary internal data ahead of the regular release schedule of official figures by the EU Commission.
SOURCE: Toyota Motor Europe