A new Automotive World report explores the make-or-break issue of cyber security for autonomous cars and trucks.
Security and safety go hand in hand; indeed, in many languages, there is one word for both. Running potentially millions of lines of code, modern connected vehicles already offer hackers numerous attack vectors, putting at risk not only driver privacy but also the safety of occupants and other road users. The impact of an attack on autonomous vehicles (AVs) could range from the minor inconvenience of traffic congestion to a life-threatening system failure
AV cyber security reaches beyond the automotive industry and requires collaboration across all sectors involved in transportation and mobility, both technically and in terms of public perception; get it right, and AV users will think nothing of it. Get it wrong, and anything from inconvenience to tragedy could render AVs useless.
In this report:
- Executive summary
- Cyber resilience will make or break the dream of autonomous vehicles at scale
- Data-gathering brings risk, but the auto industry is ready for the challenge
- Connectivity means there’s no safety without security
- Ethical hacking and collaboration key for ensuring autonomous cyber security
- Cyber security providing new revenue streams for players in the know
- What is trucking doing to address cyber security concerns?
- Over-the-air updates present challenges—but ignoring OTA could prove worse
‘Special report: Why cyber security is essential for autonomous vehicle success’ opens with an overview article by experts from Boston Consulting Group commissioned exclusively for Automotive World, and provides insight from a range of stakeholders with a vested interest in autonomous vehicles and cyber security, including:
- Aurora Labs
- Brose North America
- National Motor Freight Traffic Association (NMFTA)
- Spielnet Technologies
Automotive World subscribers can access the report by following this link: https://www.automotiveworld.com/research/special-report-why-cyber-security-is-essential-for-autonomous-vehicle-success/
For more information about Automotive World subscriptions, please head to: http://www.automotiveworld.com/subscribe/