Military-inspired truck reinforces capability with go-anywhere style
Chevrolet’s 2016 Silverado Special Ops concept imagines a unique rescue vehicle for special-operations forces.
It is based on the Silverado 1500 Z71, which features a new front-end design and new technologies built into its strong, high-strength steel body structure and fully boxed frame, and draws its design inspiration from naval design aesthetics.
“This Silverado concept is a multipurpose truck that reflects the go-anywhere, do-anything commitment of special-forces teams,” said Jim Campbell, GM U.S. vice president of Performance Vehicles and Motorsports.
The naval-inspired camo appearance, called Razzle Dazzle, was developed more than 100 years ago to disguise a ship’s speed, direction and profile to the enemy’s eye. It is based on a three-tone blue exterior color, marked by a distinctive array of varying colored lines and shapes intended to mask the ship.
“We created light, medium and darker shaded areas within camouflage bands flowing down the hood, body sides and tailgate,” said Todd Parker, director of design, Chevrolet Accessories. “That effect gives tremendous depth to the Silverado’s body, while reinforcing the nautical heritage of the unique camo design.”
The concept blends unique components and new parts from Chevrolet Accessories’ portfolio for Silverado to create a truck that offers enhanced capability for just about any mission. Distinguishing features include a bed-mounted sport bar with LED lights, off-road tires, wheel flares, custom rocker guards, bed-mounted GearOn™ utility rack storage system and more.
A narrow light bar with six-inch LED light strips stretches across the top of the body-color grille – which is accented with black grille inserts – while black bowtie emblems complete the appearance.
Inside, the military-theme cues continue, with a bright Ejector Orange color used on the door pulls and glove box handle. The seats are trimmed with waterproof covers and the floors have waterproof liners, while the instrument panel and armrests echo the Razzle Dazzle camo paint scheme carried out on the exterior.
The complete list of Chevrolet Accessories and concept parts includes:
- Black bowtie emblems
- Underbody shield
- Sport bar
- LED off-road lights
- Wheel flares
- 20-inch aluminum wheels with off-road tires
- Custom rocker guards
- GearOn™ tiered storage system
- GearOn™ utility rack package
- GearOn™ cargo tie-down rings
- Floor liners
- Spray-in bedliner (production option)
- Embroidered headrests with the Special Ops logo.
A new brake package, air intake and exhaust kits from Chevrolet Performance further enhance the driving experience of this Silverado concept.
About the 2016 Silverado 1500
The new 2016 Silverado 1500 builds on Chevy Trucks’ legacy of dependability with a dramatic new design, advanced connectivity and enhanced customer-focused technologies.
New front-end designs with a bolder, more sculpted appearance reflect the underlying strength of the Silverado’s high-strength steel construction, while powerful yet efficient V-8 engines are an integral part of the Silverado’s capability.
The EcoTec3 engines use advanced technologies such as direct injection, Active Fuel Management (cylinder deactivation) and continuously variable valve timing to offer the best V-8 fuel economy ever in a pickup – 23 mpg in 5.3L/six-speed models – and the most powerful V-8 in a light-duty truck: 420 horsepower (313 kW) from the available 6.2L engine. The 6.2L V-8 enables a best-in-class 12,000-pound max trailering rating on 2WD models, when properly equipped.
Additional changes and updates for 2016 include the expanded use of the eight-speed automatic transmission for some 5.3L models and a number of new and enhanced technology, safety and connectivity features:
- Phone integration via Chevrolet MyLink, which enhances connectivity and promotes safer driving. It allows smartphone users to connect with applications such as navigation, hands-free messaging and more through Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. Android Auto is standard on a new 7-inch radio at the start of production and is planned for 8-inch radios later in the model year
- Lane Keep Assist, which helps keep the truck in its lane with subtle steering feedback, and IntelliBeam (high-beam assist) headlamp control, which automatically adjusts the high beams for oncoming traffic. Both are added to the available Enhanced Driver Alert Package
- Wireless phone charging is included on all models equipped with front bucket seats
- Available remote locking tailgate
- Power-articulating assist steps are available on Silverado High Country, which makes entry and egress easier. They swing back at the tap of a switch to provide easier access to the front of the cargo box.
What hasn’t changed for 2016 is the quality customers can depend on. Silverado 1500 was the segment leader in the 2015 J.D. Power and Associates U.S. Initial Quality survey.
The Silverado Special Ops concept will be one of more than 20 Chevy vehicles on display this week at the SEMA Show, in Las Vegas. It will also be displayed at the annual Army-Navy football game, in Philadelphia, on Dec. 12.