Qualcomm Life, Inc., a subsidiary of Qualcomm Incorporated (NASDAQ: QCOM), today announced several new offerings on its smart platform that make data more visible and actionable, empowering clinicians and care givers to make better insight-based decisions about their patients. The platform connects medical devices and clinical systems, collects and contextualizes all available data, and securely integrates data into other systems and applications. The new offerings provide customers the ability to simplify workflow, documentation, alarms management and achieve patient surveillance with at-a-glance views.
Many healthcare systems today are data rich but insights poor. Important patient information is collected by individual medical devices in siloed care settings. The data often comes in the form of multiple alerts and lacks critical context (patient ID, caregiver ID, time, location) and can fail to provide insight into a patient’s overall condition. Staff are overburdened with data and manual documentation which can lead to missed issues, errors and a delay in timely information.
“According to one study, clinicians spend 35% of their time on documentation and only 19% spent on patient care,” said Rick Valencia, President, Qualcomm Life, Inc. “Not being able to spend enough time with patients is a huge dissatisfier for both parties. Manual data entry and documentation are administrative burdens that can impact HCAHP scores resulting in lost revenue. Our smart platform and the offerings we are announcing today can help give time back to providers to care for their patients.”
A key component of the enhanced offering is Advanced Integration. This capability captures data, including waveforms, from multiple medical devices. Advanced Integration tailors data by selecting elements and then transforming and filtering the data at the frequency the downstream system needs. This may include electronic medical records (EMRs), alarm management, research databases and clinical decision support systems. It also consolidates many alerts into a single, more meaningful alert message. Receiving too many alerts can contribute to “alert fatigue,” which happens when clinicians override or ignore multiple messages because they get in the way of delivering high-quality care.
- Capsule™ Vitals Plus used in non-critical care settings brings a new level of clinical usability to the traditional vital signs monitoring market. Unlike approaches that rely on manual documentation of vital signs in the EMR, Vitals Plus reliably and accurately captures all vital signs, observations and other patient data at the point of care. By offering vital signs validation at the bedside, it simplifies clinical workflows and saves clinicians’ time. When combined with Capsule Early Warning Scoring System (EWSS) at the bedside, Vitals Plus offers potential improvements in patient safety in addition to workflow efficiency. Vitals Plus is now available with Nellcor™ OxiMax™ pulse oximetry.
- Intelligent Care Applications bring near-real-time insights to clinical staff, improving situational awareness. Information is available anywhere, anytime, with at-a-glance dashboards aiding in fast, improved decisions. These applications include AlertWatch:OB and AlertWatch:OR (from partner AlertWatch®), PeriWatch Vigilance™ (from partner PeriGen) and PatMon, Patient Hx, and Patient Hx with strip export (Sickbay™ apps from partner Medical Informatics Corp.). These initial applications provide insights for critical care settings where timely interventions are required to improve outcomes.
- IQ Analytics manages hospital medical devices and reduces clinical interruptions by knowing exactly where the devices are located. It also improves management of Qualcomm Life’s Capsule hardware including battery life of the Capsule Neuron device.
- Rapid Patient ID provides integration and patient identification to wireless devices, expanding the number of connected devices and device types. The GE CARESCAPE™ VC150 vital signs monitor is the first device supported with Rapid Patient ID functionality.
- 2net™Hub next generation enables secure data capture and transmission from medical devices and sensors in the clinical setting as well as the home. This second generation of the 2net Hub provides faster data rates, increased coverage and reduced latency over the first generation of 2net Hub.