Ram Now Owns Top Two Spots in Pickup Fuel Economy Rankings
- 2014 Ram 1500, powered by all-new 3.0-litre EcoDiesel V6, registers best-ever 7.1 L/100 km (40 mpg) in highway fuel economy for large pickups
- Ram is the only ½ ton truck to offer a diesel engine
- All-new 3.0-litre EcoDiesel delivers unsurpassed torque among V6 pickups (420 lb.-ft.)
- Ram 1500 world’s first and only pickup with 8-speed transmission; TorqueFlite technology major contributor to efficiency
- EnerGuide’s best half-ton pickup rating since the 3.6-litre PentastarTM V6 propelled the 2013 Ram to 7.8 L/100 km (36 mpg)
- EcoDiesel- and Pentastar-powered Rams rank 1-2 for fuel economy in 2014, aided by class-exclusive TorqueFlite 8-speed automatic transmission
Not only does the 2014 Ram EcoDiesel exceed the EnerGuide highway fuel economy rating for all ½ ton trucks, it also has better fuel economy than all mid-size trucks in Canada.Factoring in the 2014 Ram 1500’s 10.2 L/100 km (28 mpg) city fuel economy rating, the all-new 3.0-litre EcoDiesel V6 helps rewrite the full-size segment’s combined rating record books with 8.8 L/100 km (32 mpg).
These breakthrough ratings mean Ram EcoDiesel surpasses the half-ton fuel-economy record set last year by the 2013 Ram 1500. Equipped with a 3.6-litre PentastarTM V6 gasoline engine, that truck achieved up to 7.8 L/100 km (36 mpg) highway, a rating that continues for model-year 2014.
The Ram 1500 now owns the half-ton pickup segment’s top two spots in the EnerGuide’s 2014 highway fuel-economy rankings.
“We are immensely gratified by achieving these milestones,” says Bob Lee, Chrysler Group’s Head of Engine, Powertrain and Electrified Propulsion Systems Engineering. “Not only do they confirm our position as an industry leader in powertrain development and truck design, they promise tremendous benefits for our customers.”
The EcoDiesel is the first and only advanced-technology turbo-diesel available in the half-ton pickup segment. In addition to superior fuel economy, it delivers peak torque of 420 lb.-ft., which is unsurpassed among full-size trucks equipped with V6 engines.
The all-new 3.0L EcoDiesel engine’s block and bedplate are made from lightweight Compacted Graphite Iron (CGI). Its performance is enhanced by the innovative MultiJet 2 common-rail fuel-injection system, which is exclusive in North America to Chrysler Group.
MultiJet 2’s high-dispersion nozzles and advanced-technology servovalve can accommodate up to eight fuel-injection events per cylinder cycle. This mitigates noise and improves low-speed throttle response, while also reducing fuel consumption and emissions.
Named one of Ward’s 10 Best Engines for 2014, the EcoDiesel V6 was a significant factor in the Ram 1500’s selection as the 2014 Motor Trend Truck of the Year, the first ever back-to-back winner, and helped Ram 1500 win the 2014 Truck King Challenge in Canada.
Chrysler Group’s segment-exclusive TorqueFlite 8-speed automatic transmission further improves the Ram 1500’s fuel efficiency. While enabling optimal engine speed in a wide range of driving conditions, the advanced-technology gearbox benefits from a thermal-management system that quickly warms transmission oil to reduce pumping losses associated with cold, low-viscosity fluid.
The 2014 Ram 1500’s efficiencies are not restricted to powertrain technologies. Other key features include:
- Active grille shutters that optimize air flow for improved aerodynamics
- Electric Power Steering (EPS), which relieves the engine from constantly turning a hydraulic pump
- Thoughtful material-use strategies that leverage lightweight aluminum for components – such as hoods – that do not compromise capability
The 2014 Ram 1500 is backed with a five-year /100,000-km Powertrain Limited Warranty. The powertrain-limited warranty, which is transferrable, covers the cost of all parts and labour needed to repair a covered powertrain component – engine, transmission and drive system.
The standard three-year / 60,000-km Basic Limited Warranty provides bumper-to-bumper coverage for the Ram 1500.
The 2014 Ram 1500 is built at the Warren Truck Assembly Plant (Warren, Mich.), which has assembled more than 12.5 million trucks since it started operations in 1938. Regular Cab models of the 2014 Ram 1500 are built at the Saltillo Truck Assembly Plant in Saltillo, Mexico.